Saturday, May 15, 2010

Container Gardening in an RV

Last week, on Saturday, it was spring cleaning....this Saturday, after a bacon-cheeseburger lunch (we spent 2 hours at Lowe's looking at all the stuff we want to get eventually...you know...the grown-up's toy store) it was time to get going on the outside!!
Of course, dad and dogs decided they needed a quick nap while mom went to work!! We had went to the farmer's market a few weekends ago and I couldn't, in all fairness, go again until I got some of my starter plants into pots and going!! This is that pathetic dill that Ted Westby had given me because he thought it was going to die...it's really starting to perk up and do it's dill thing! This is killer on fish!

And the mint is just growing beautifully!





Here's what I see when I step outside every day...and it's a wonderful sight, indeed!



My mixed lettuce will be ready for salads very soon...I love baby lettuce! This has mixed chard, endive, acorn leaf lettuce, red and green leaf, frisee...the whole nine yards! I'll mix in some of those herbs and I won't be buying that stuff in a bag anymore, and that's a fact!





I searched Lowe's, Fred Meyer and a couple of other places for a tomatillo plant, to no avail...so I figured it's getting warm enough, I'll just try to start my own! I saved all those starter pots that my pepper plants came in, so I'm good to go as far as that! I got these at Fred Meyer for 50% off the regular price!








We finally made it over to our friend, Cecil's house to get some rosemary...I didn't realize I'd be getting a tree, but I'm ok with that!





I've been using green onions in practically everything...out of 80, only 3 didn't come up! I bought another 80 today...red ones, this time and starting filling in the gaps...








In the blue tub are my lemon cucumbers and the trellis Bob and I built today. We got 25 3-foot bamboo stakes for $2.99 and we figured we couldn't go srong there! Those are tomatoes in the cat litter buckets: a roma, a beefsteak and a yellow...









Peppers, peppers, peppers...I have bell, pepperoncinis, and mixed chiles...I'll have to wait until they get bigger to figure out what's what...a cinder block turned on it's side will make a handy planter in a pinch!










My radishes are growing like weeds! I've thinned them down and the reds are starting to get round and whites are starting to get long and I can hardly wait...radishes are one of my favorites! In the metal container is the chives, basil and parsley that I started from a kit...everyone's popped up, finally!








I've got a couple of red and yukon gold potatoes that I'm letting sit around and grow some eyes and they will go into the huge blue tub in the middle...have you seen the price they want for those in the store? Outrageous!! I also have some gourmet fingerlings that I'm letting grow, as well...so we will have potatoes eventually...for right now, it's just waiting!
















And here is the garden! Laurrie, Laurrie...how does your garden grow???











Quite well, I think!



Thanks for stopping by!!













1 comment:

  1. LOVE your little rv garden. Are you over at Baked Lava now???

    ReplyDelete